Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Random Adventures of Random Wilson - Two

Joe showed up about forty minutes later. The rain had decreased to a mild drizzle.

"You should have called 911. I can't get you out of there," Joe called down.

"In the shed out back there is a ladder. Bring it here and lower it into this damn hole, already," Random said.

Joe didn't move fast enough. He heard sirens just as he grasped the ladder. The police and fire department had arrived. Random had decided to call them while waiting for Joe to get there from work.

"Why did you dig this hole, Mr. Wilson?" asked the cop.

"I didn't dig it. I don't know how it got there. It wasn't there last night but when I stepped out the door this morning I fell into that hole because I didn't know it was there."

"Then why are there no signs of digging equipment anywhere?" he was asked.

"I don't know. I just know that somebody removed part of my porch and dug this hole during the night while I was asleep." Wilson replied.

"Hmm, no sign of digging equipment, no dirt, no splinters from the broken porch. I do not understand how someone could do this in one night and leave not one little clue that they were here."

"Me, either, but they did," Random stated, frustrated with the cops' reluctance to believe him.

After the police, fire department and EMTs left, Random turned to Joe and said, "They didn't believe me."

"Of course not. If I hadn't been here yesterday afternoon I might not believe you, either. So, just how did the hole get here?"

"Damned if I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment